Global Security - Trends online webinar
Medarrangører: IDA Brandteknik, IDA Militærteknik
Registration procedure for the webinar:
Once you have registered you will receive a confirmation e-mail. At the bottom of this mail you will find a link to the webinar. You log in through this link and are forwarded to the site where the webinar is shown.
Type your e-mail address in the empty field and press ‘Enter’. You are now registered on the site and will receive a link in your inbox which transfers you straight to the recording.
Click File bottom left corner of the screen when you have started the webinar, here you can download the presentation files for review.
Organiser: IDA Risk and IDA Fire Technology.
Meeting Description: Don’t miss this exclusive opportunity to find out how renowned academic Dr. Tomas Ries sees the future of the defence and security environment changing over the next 10-15 years.
Drawing on his most recent research and in-depth analysis of geopolitical developments Dr Ries will challenge you to think differently about future defense and security. Latest trends and new frontiers in defense and security in Europe. How nations will need to adjust and adapt to constantly evolving threats. Key technologies enabling faster prediction and prevention. What defense and security will look like in 2030?
Dr. Tomas Ries is Senior Lecturer in Security and Strategy at the Swedish Defence University, Department of Security, Strategy and Leadership (ISSL), Division of Strategy.
Dr. Ries has worked with security studies since 1979. His three main interests are:
1. The globalising security environment and future trends.
2. The epistemological and practical challenges of the new security environment.
3. The essence of strategy and security.
We have asked Tomas Ries to come to Copenhagen and give a lecture on global security trends. The lecture will be given in two 45 min. periods with a half hour break allowing for refreshments and networking. The lecture will be in English, but Tomas speaks perfectly Swedish and understand very well Danish and Norwegian, so ask questions in the language you prefer
Part 1: DEEP ISSUES
1. What is Security?
○ Functioning Vital Life Systems.
○ What is ‘Functioning’?
○ What are our Vital Life Systems?
○ Outline of our six Vital Life Systems in three security dimensions
2. Global Trends:
○ Social Dimension: Three deep trends, six security consequences.
○ Functional Dimension: Two deep trends, five security consequences.
○ Ecological Dimension: Three deep trends, two deep security consequences.
3. Managing Insecurity
○ Two complements to plan-based security policy.
½ hour break – refreshments and networking
Part.2: IMMEDIATE ISSUES
1. Europe – Decline of the West
○ Socioeconomic decline of the west and political consequences
○ Partly failed integration and consequences
○ Transnational Revolutionary Movements and consequences
2. Russia – Prospects for War
- Conventional and nuclear
- Full Spectrum Warfare
1. Social Dimension:
○ Rising instability and conflicts within our societies, from the richest to the poorest parts of the world.
○ Increasing pressure from our three big transnational threats: Global Organised Crime; Transnational Revolutionary Movements; and Uncontrolled Human Flows.
○ The return of great power politics and the likelihood of great power wars.
2. Functional Dimension:
○ Extreme fragility of the hyper-effective global economy and the technological infrastructure on which it rests, both globally and nationally.
○ Existential threats from antagonistic attacks, especially from states, but also from transnational revolutionary movements.
○ Severe threats from global organized crime.
○ Severe threats from inherent weaknesses in the global economy and global technological infrastructure.
○ Existential threats from increasing ecological disruption, of which pandemics are the most severe.
3. Ecological Dimension:
○ Very slow problem of depleting non-renewable resources.
○ Rapid threat from damaging regional biotopes that provide renewable resources (air, water, arable land, fish, etc.)
○ Escalating threat from disrupting the global ecosystem (climate change, extreme weather, rising sea-levels, etc.)
1. Plan-based preparations.
○ Foresee and modify or prepare for emerging threats. Current state paradigm (not private sector however!).
○ Rapid adaptation and improvisation to respond to surprising challenges and threats seen in the last minute. Very hard for states, private sector better. Hyper-complexity is the enemy of agility.
○ Absorb the shock from totally surprising events that one does not see in time. Very hard for us all, not very pleasant, but crucial if we are to survive existential crises. Hyper-efficiency is the enemy of resilience.
Join IDA Risk Network an get a discount on participation in meetings / courses
Membership IDA Risk is free for IDA members, register here if you wish to join (remember you must be signed in ida.dk), select My Profile (min profil) → Network (netværk).
Anyone can join IDA Risk' newsletter for free: Sign up here if you in future wish to receive IDA Risk' newsletter.
Important information regarding personal data on participant lists
Your name, title and company will appear on the attendance list for this event. The participant list is available to the organizer and the other participants on the event itself, in the form of a physical participant list and online attendance list. In addition, at some events, name tags are provided, where your name, title and company appear. If you unsubscribe from the event, your information will not appear in the attendance list.
fra IDA Risk
- IDA Mødecenter, København V
- onsdag d. 26. september kl. 17:00
- DTU - Building 101 - Room S01, Kgs. Lyngby
- fredag d. 02. november kl. 09:00
- IDA Mødecenter, København V
- mandag d. 12. november kl. 17:15
- IDA Mødecenter, København V
- torsdag d. 29. november kl. 09:00
Få højt specialiseret viden og rabat på arrangementer, som medlem af IDAs 40 fagtekniske netværk.